Monday, April 28, 2014

My Book Week 2014 Adventures!


From May 1 to 11, 
I've been given the great privilege of touring 
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, 
to participate in the 

2014 TD Canadian Children's Book Week Tour
... with stops in 
Port Hardy, Port Alice, Campbell River, Courtenay, Comox, Nanaimo, Duncan, Salt Spring Island, Lake Cowichan, and Victoria!

18 Events in 10 days!  Woo-HOOOOOOO!

*****

You can read an interview that I did for Book Week HERE!

You can find out everything you need to know about Book Week HERE!

*****

And here is a recap of my adventures so far:

May 1 - Port Hardy and Port Alice

My first stop of the day was at Eagle View Elementary School in Port Hardy, where Teacher-Librarian Extraordinaire Sandra Gunson introduced me to some of the local wildlife...






Then I gave a reading and a talk to a large and enthusiastic group of students!


Afterward, I ran a Creative Writing Workshop for several talented and enthusiastic young writers.



 Then it was up the (fun, twisty, hilly) road to Port Alice, where I spoke with all of the students from Grade 4 to 9 at the small but mighty Sea View Elementary.

The playground at the elementary school I attended in Southern Ontario DEFINITELY did not have a view like Sea View's!


Then I was off to Campbell River for Day Two!


May 2 - Campbell River

I arrived at Carihi Secondary School in the morning to find this stage waiting for me:





The red drums made me feel right at home, but I resisted the temptation to play them through my morning presentation to a large group of enthusiastic, attentive grade 7 and 8 students, and my afternoon with the bright, inquisitive students of Carihi Secondary.



Between presentations, I was taken out for the best fish 'n' chips I've ever eaten, by Cahiri's Teacher-Librarian Extraordinaire, Betsy Muir, and several of the school's up-and-coming writers.  

We also made a stop at Haig-Brown House, which has exactly the sort of writing room/library that I'd like to have one day.





May 3 - Campbell River and Courtenay

Today I spent the morning at 
The Campbell River Public Library! 

Then in the afternoon I was on the road again, for a presentation at The Courtenay Public Library!

At both locations, I presented Creative Writing Workshops and answered questions about creating, revising, editing, publication, and anything else that both groups of enthusiastic writers wanted to know.

And that was just the first three days!  

There is still a whole week left to go!

Stay tuned...