Saturday, October 18, 2008

Goodbye, Storyteller Magazine


After fifteen years and over five hundred published short stories, Storyteller: Canada's Short Story Magazine, has published their last issue.

Storyteller published one of my first stories, which encouraged me to keep going, and which eventually grew into my first novel, Cheeseburger Subversive. Stories that turned up later in my books Featherless Bipeds and Destiny's Telescope also appeared first in Storyteller. I'm sure many other Canadian authors have similar stories about the magazine.

My heartfelt thanks to publisher Terry Tyo and Editor Melanie Fogel for keeping a good thing going for so long. Melanie is one of the most direct and thoughtful editors with whom I've had the pleasure to work, and she definitely knows a good story when she sees one.
Goodbye, Storyteller. Canadian short story lovers, both readers and writers, will miss you.


RS